Bubble Bubble Red Hot and Delectable
It continues to be cold outside and the need to warm up. On this Halloween night something a bit spicy and devilish is in high order. Not only will it light you up, it will surprise you with all the simple complexity within this dish.
In the past, this was one of those dishes that Koreans made and still do because they used the kimchi they made to use all through the winter. The dish generally consist of aged kimchi, kimchi liquid, pork, beef, or seafood, tofu, garlic, green onions, doenjang and gochujang (both optional). Because this is a vegan kimchi stew, we won’t be using pork, beef, or seafood. It still will be very flavorful because of the kimchi itself.
You can make it thick or thin depending on whether you use onion and the type of tofu you use. Whatever you choose to add to your kimchi stew, whether thick or thin, this warming traditional dish will bring comfort and great health because of the beneficial bacterial in aged kimchi. As well as, every ingredient added to the dish adds even more benefits because each ingredient is fresh and made with top quality ingredients.
Kimchi Jigae or kimchi stew can be served in a communal manner if there is more than one person enjoying it. Serve with rice and banchan (side dishes). It can also be served in the pot it was cooked if using a stone or cast iron pot. Enjoy, party people!
- 2 cups ripe kimchi, chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup onions. diced
- 3/4 cup kimchi juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, one cut into 1 pieces and one thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 package of firm tofu, cut into small rectangles
- Place all ingredients except the one green onion cut into 1 inch pieces and the other thinly sliced.
- Bring to a boil for 20 minutes.
- Add thinly sliced green onions and continue to boil for another 10 minutes. The long it cooks the more flavorful the stew gets.
- In the last 5 minutes of however long you choose to cook it add the 1 inch pieces of green onions.
- Serve with rice and banchan (side dishes).