Kale is such a powerhouse ingredient that is as versatile as it is flavorful. I love using it as I would lettuce for salads, as I would broccoli as a side or ingredient in a dish, as I would basil for pesto.
I chopped up the mushrooms and the onions to then saute them until they are lightly brown.
In the meantime, the gnocchi is placed into boiling water to cook quickly.
Once the mushrooms and onions are caramelized and the gnocchi is floating, combine. The happiness is in full effect.
After making the kale pesto, I used two tablespoons of the mixture. Yet if you are not a great lover of kale then use a little less or saute some kale with the mushrooms to have just a light taste of kale.
Vegan Mofo #19 Crimini Mushroom Gnocchi with Kale Pesto
- 12 crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 bag Caesar's Organic Vegan Gnocchi
- 1 hand full of kale
- 3 large cloves
- 1 cup vegetable broth plus 1/4 cup for pesto
- 2 teaspoons miso
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Saute chopped mushrooms and onions until golden brown or caramelized. If mushrooms and onions start to stick, add a Tbsp of vegetable broth or water at a time.
- Boil water.
- Add gnocchi to the boiling water.
- Cook until gnocchi floats or according to the instructions on the bag.
- Place hand full of kale, 3 cloves, vegetable broth, and miso into blender or food processor.
- Blend until pureed smooth.
- Add gnocchi to mushroom and onion mixture in skillet.
- Add between 1 1/2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoons of kale pesto or all of it as I did. The flavor can be very green tasting so choose according to your taste.
I wish I had this for dinner tonight! Love kale, have to try it in pesto!
I wanted to try something different with the gnocchi and we love kale so I thought I’d give it a try. Now because kale can have a strong grassy taste, you may want to try just a little at first or tweak it to your liking. Enjoy!