Stir Fry, Vegetables, and Noodles! YUMMM!!!
Say that really fast several times. Stir fry, vegetables, and noodles. Stir fry, vegetable, and noodles. Stir fry, vegetables, and noodles. Oh my!!!
I LOVE Korean food, always have. The wonderful balance of flavors. The simplicity of ingredients that come together to create amazing meals. Once all the prep is done, dishes are prepared with ease.
One dish that can take a short time to prepare once all the prep is done. Japchae!
Japchae is a simple noodle dish filled with stir-fried vegetables served at special occasions. It can be a side dish or a main dish. As well as it is served with rice. In the past it was only vegetables. Traditionally, it is made with mushrooms, onions, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, beef, and spinach. Yet, this is a vegan version, so the beef is out. Really, this dish is made with any vegetable you can find and then topped off with sesame seeds.
I generally don’t keep spinach in the house. I usually use kale. which to me is heartier and works well with the flavors of sesame oil and soy sauce. However, I didn’t have kale nor mushrooms in the house. So I used what I had which was broccoli and tofu.
Instead of stir-frying the vegetables, I steam the vegetables, bake the tofu, boil the noodles, and then prepare it all in a bowl with soy sauce, sesame oil, a little sugar – I use agave. It can be served hot or at room temperature.
- 1 pound sweet potato noodles or cellophane noodles
- 1 small onion, cut in half, sliced thin
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1/2 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh broccoli
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Boil noodles according to the package. Drain. Add a little sesame oil to prevent sticking.
- Heat skillet, enamel cast iron pot, or wok to medium-high. Add all prepped vegetables.
- Stir-fry until softened and slightly browned for about 4 minutes.
- Slice tofu.
- Either bake in a 400ºF for 30 minutes or stir-fry until brown in the same skillet as the vegetables once vegetables are done.
- Quickly add noodles, remaining sesame oil, and soy sauce or tamari. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.