Quick simple and tasty!
There are times when I either I am short on time or I really do not feel like cooking. Let’s face it, most of us want convenience and great taste!
So, with that in mind, we arrived home after having been out all day. I was too tired to commence to the laborious job of prep before getting to actual cooking. The freezer had edamame and frozen shiitake mushrooms, while the refrigerator had the Cajun (and Korean) basics of celery, onions, and bell peppers. Along with the Japanese daikon radish and in the pantry came nori to round it all out. I grabbed some Nishiki rice and got it started. Dinner was only about 20 minutes – the time it takes to cook the rice.
Give it a try. YOU WILL LOVE IT
Vegan Mofo #16 “Jajun” Gumbo (Japanese Cajun Gumbo)
- Cooked rice
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup edamame
- 1/2 cup daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder.
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons brown (dark) miso
- 1/2 sheet nori, cut into thin pieces
- Cook rice according to which type of rice you decide to use.
- Water saute celery, onions, and bell peppers until onions are translucent.
- Add shiitake mushrooms, edamame, daikon radish and cayenne, black pepper, garlic, oregano, thyme, and onion powder. Cook until mushrooms brown slightly.
- Add water. Bring to a boil.
- Add miso. Cook for only a few minutes at a simmer.
- Place rice in a individual serving bowl. Top with a cup of the gumbo. Top with shredded nori.