I wasn’t one to have tempeh because the flavor was just awful. Tempeh’s flavor can be overwhelming because of the culture, the fermentation process. Yet it is that fermentation that make tempeh an excellent powerhouse of nutrition.
I decided to use a tomato sauce as a way to off center the tartness that tempeh can have. Yet, I learned that this veggie tempeh has a nice delicate flavor. Try it for yourself.
- 1 14oz package Tinkyada Brown Rice (Fettucini Style)
- 1 8oz package Lightlife Organic Garden Veggie Tempeh
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/4 cup celery
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 28oz can Muir Glen Tomato Puree
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Prepare pasta according to package instructions.
- Remove tempeh from packaging.
- Cut into bite-size cubes.
- Place into skillet to saute on med heat.
- Chop onions and celery.
- Mince garlic.
- Add vegetable seasonings to tempeh and continue to saute on med heat.
- Once the onions are opaque and the celery has softened, add the tomato puree.
- Add tamari and black pepper.
- Reduce heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chopped basil.