Say it with me, zucchini! Lasagne!
Admit it, those two words in the same sentence sends you into a serious full on drool. Can you see it? Imagine if you will the garlic basil sauce ladled on tofu ricotta and veggies or mushrooms between tender pasta sheets.What happens when you open the refrigerator door to find that you don’t have most of those ingredients?
You switch gears and get creative. Here’s where ta da!! Zucchini comes in.
Zucchini makes a great substitute for pasta when you’re trying to cut back and/or eliminate wheat from your diet. This dish came together because I hadn’t gone shopping and this was all I had in the house at the time.
Serve it with a a salad of your choosing and it makes for a light meal.
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 14 ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch kale, washed, trimmed, and chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth, divided
- 2 cups of tomato sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and halved
- 1 medium onion, chopped and halved
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add kale, half the onion and garlic to med high heat skillet and saute with vegetable broth about 5 mins. Set aside.
- Place drained beans into food processor or high speed blender. Puree until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut ends off zucchini. Slice thinly with a knife or a mandolin.
- Saute the rest of the onion until translucent. Add garlic and tomato sauce. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Place three slices overlapping on a plate.
- Spread desired amount of bean puree over zucchini slices.
- Sprinkle desired amount of kale over bean puree.
- Spoon on desired amount of sauce over kale.
- Top with three overlapping slices of zucchini in a different direction (if desired).
- Repeat layering three more times.
- Serve with a salad of your choice.
If you like, you can add fresh basil to the sauce or chiffonade and sprinkle over top as a garnish.
Once you get the hang of this recipe, you’ll be making it quickly and often for you and your family.