You can not get any simpler than this on a cool night. You can have it as a soup or with rice and some plantains. I love them in a bowl piping hot with spoon in hand gently scooping up a taste of hearty goodness into my eager awaiting mouth.
- 1 cup dried black beans, washed
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree (or ketchup)
- Sort and rinse beans.
- Place beans and water in a stock pot.
- After 45 minutes add onions, celery, garlic, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and tomato puree.
- Cook until beans are softened for another 45 minutes.