When I went to bed, I was not feeling all that great. I figured that I would feel better once I got some sleep. That was not the case. So I had a cup of something hot to drink and a piece of toast. That did not help. So I went back to bed.
Once I woke up, I decided to have something green. So I decided to make a kale salad to have something healthy and nutritious, with the hope that it would be good enough of a light meal.
It is really a very tasty salad, yet my stomach just wasn’t having anything in it. So I ended up just letting my daughter have all that nutritional goodness from a powerhouse of kale, sodium from celery, sweetness from the dried fruit, and protein from the nuts.
- 1 bunch of kale (any variety)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries, dried cherries (or a combination of dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup celery and the tops, chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 1 pear, divided and chopped
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
- Wash kale.
- Tear leaves away from stems.
- Save stems to chop and use in the salad.
- Place washed kale in a bowl.
- Add the apple cider vinegar.
- Add chopped stems.
- Squeeze the kale to make sure each piece gets vinegar.
- Set aside to wilt kale.
- Add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts.
- Ad 1/4 cup of dried fruit.
- Add 1/4 cup of celery.
- Add half the pear.
- Add the rice wine vinegar and the Dijon mustard.
- Place lid on and blend until smooth.
- If too thick, add the 2 Tbsp water.
- Pour out of blender and set aside.
- Squeeze kale.
- Pour out the excess vinegar and rinse if you like.
- Add the remaining ingredients along with the dressing.