Let Them Eat Pie!
There are times when which tend to be most of the time that I need to make something that I don’t have to stand over. Or involved constant attention. Something that I can throw together quickly and walk away for at least thirty minutes.
All that’s needed to do is scramble some tofu with onions, garlic, ginger, bell peppers, maybe some celery if you like, and mushrooms. Enhance those natural seasoning flavors with some umph — gochujang or black pepper. A splash of soy sauce or tamari. Add some leafy greens to the mixture placed into a lovely pocket of filo. Serve with a salad of fresh goodness and you are set to have a great evening of television viewing, book reading, whatever delights your soul!
Also, you can add other vegetables like the basics of onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic. Then add ginger, carrot, and shiitake mushrooms. If you really want to go wild once you’ve added you greens of choice, you can add some sea vegetable or some black olives. Add some turmeric not only for color yet for it’s medicinal uses. One popular way is for the treatment of arthritis.
Sweet potatoes and Korean radish can even be included in this dish. The possibilities of ingredients are endless and making this one of the most versatile meals anyone could possibly prepare. The mixture is then all bundled up in filo. Really the filo can be changed out for another vegetable like zucchini or eggplant thinly sliced.
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
- black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari, divided
- 2 cup kale, sautéed
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine melted
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash, de-stem and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Water sauté half the onions, garlic and kale for 5 minutes or until wilted.
- Set aside.
- Heat skillet to medium-high.
- Water sauté celery, bell pepper, remainder of onions, and carrots for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, tofu, and turmeric. Sauté until there isn't anymore liquid from the tofu.
- Stir in kale. Set aside.
- Lightly oil a pie plate with a touch of vegan margarine or oil to prevent phyllo from sticking.
- Overlap the 12 sheets of phyllo in pie plate.
- Spoon in tofu mixture into pie plate.
- Fold phyllo dough over tofu mixture. Lightly brush phyllo with mellted vegan margarine.
- Place into oven and bake for 30-45 minutes or until phyllo is golden brown.
- Serve with salad and roasted vegetables.