Vegan Mofo #5
Yesterday, I had every intention of making a post early in the day so that anyone that wanted to make my dish could buy the ingredients. Yet because I am still in the process of making this blog work, I sat at my computer searching for ways to help me understand the theme better. When I was informed that Steve Jobs was no longer with us. I sat quietly.
So instead of making a full meal, the only thing that came to my mind was something comforting – macaroni ‘n veg cheese.
My style of cooking is more along the lines of an intuitive cook. I don’t measure anything, just a little of this and a little of that. With that in mind, I grab a kabocha squash that is the size a good size grapefruit. Cut it, scoop out the seeds, and place it in a baking dish with a little water in the oven.
A pot is put on to boil for the pasta. The remaining ingredients of raw cashews, Dijon mustard, garlic clove, onion, cayenne pepper, tamari, turmeric, tomato puree, and rice milk are placed in my high powered blender. Blend until smooth.
I mixed everything together as I listened to the news coverage while thinking of his family and wishing that I could share this simple meal with them as my offering of comfort. For those who knew Steve Jobs personally, will feel the lost daily. The rest of us will feel the void, yet hopefully we’ll strive to our best.
- 1 kabocha squash (about 1.5lbs), halved and seeded
- 1 16 ounce pkg Tinkyada Organic Brown Rice Elbow Pasta
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup onions
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 1/4 cup rice milk
- Wash outside of kabocha squash before cutting.
- Cut kabocha squash in half. Scoop out seeds.
- Place squash in a baking dish with 1/2 cup of water.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Cook pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- Set aside.
- Place the remaining ingredients into blender.
- Blend puree until smooth.
- Place Not Cheese Sauce into saucepan on medium low until hot.
- Turn off burner.
- Add pasta.