BRRR! Must Get Warm! Soup!
This is one of those times where soup will hit the spot. One of the best soups that many Koreans consume is cabbage soup. It’s such a quick simple soup. You can make it in less than thirty minutes, while a pot of rice is bubbling away.
Cabbage soup isn’t served in restaurants, it’s a tried and true Korean wife’s go to soup. A great favorite of Koreans everywhere. The liquid used in this soup is traditionally the rice water from during the rice cleaning process. That water has starch so it helps to thicken it without adding flour. Some wives use anchovies or beef broth as a base. Well, because this is a vegan soup, we will not be using neither one of those ingredients.
Instead just having cabbage, garlic, and doenjang, I chose to also add carrots , gochhujang and tofu to the mix. I don’t have childhood memories of Korean cabbage soup like most Koreans do because I didn’t grow up Korean. I grew up in Louisiana where we do have our own cabbage soup as well due to the Germans and the Cajuns. We eat just as much cabbage in Louisiana as the Koreans do. As a matter of fact a lot of the ingredients used in Korean cooking are very similar to ingredients used in Louisianian cooking. That will be for another day. For now, enjoy this wonderful mama’s homemade soup.
- 1/2 medium napa cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 4 tablespoons doenjang (soybean paste)
- 1 teaspoon gochujang (red pepper paste)
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 package of tofu, drained and cubed
- 5 cups water (or 2 1/2 cup water + 2 1/2 cup vegetable broth)
- Cut napa cabbage in half, save the other half. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Wash and dice carrots. Mince garlic.
- Add cabbage, carrots, garlic, brown rice flour, doenjang, and gochujang to a pot.
- Sauté on medium-high until both paste blend into vegetables.
- Drain, rinse, and cube tofu. Add to the vegetable mixture along with the green onions. Stir.
- Add water or vegetable broth.
- Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 20 minutes.